Monday, May 07, 2012

Relationships with food and family

I have an unhealthy relationship with food. I love it way more than it loves me. Yesterday was a prime example of this. The good news, though, is that I have a great relationship with my mom and sisters.

My unhealthy relationship with food manifests itself in my inability to resist chocolate or most melted cheese. I also stress about what and when my next meal will be. The experts say I eat to satisfy my appetite instead of my hunger. I would agree. I really like chocolate. They also say that I probably have an emotional trigger. If they mean the emotion of joy and comfort, then yes.

I have learned to manage my food issues by planning out meals on the calendar. This also has the added benefit of helping the grocery bills since I only buy what we need, not what I crave as I walk through Trader Joe's. The calendar doesn't help much when I plan to go out to eat though.

Yesterday, I succumbed to the chocolate and melted cheese big time.

For the first time in a long time, I met my mom and three sisters out for lunch without husbands or kids, just us girls. It was awesome. For two hours, we sat and talked and ate waffles. I had a Chocolate Delight, a waffle with chocolate chips, chocolate sauce and whipped cream. I paired it with a side of peanut butter ice cream. Yum!

My sisters and my mom are pretty funny women, so our time together is always full of laughs and fun. I feel so lucky that I can count them as my friends. Yesterday, we laughed about Jack and Nick stories as well as a few Connie and Cathy stories. I got just as much pleasure from our conversation as I did from my waffle.

Last night, I proceeded to go out again, but this time with my new friends from the Moms group. We went out for Seis de Mayo drinks and dinner. I indulged in the chips, salsa and queso, a beef empanada, and some tortilla soup. It wouldn't be Seis de Mayo without a margarita, so I had two of those too.

Again, I spent my meal laughing with some pretty great women. I know it has been said before by many, many people, but there's really nothing better than good food and good company.

Next on my calendar, a dinner date with Steve.





No comments: