Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Lego Building, Switzerland, Dentists, etc

Today, I picked up a Lego set for Jack while we were at Target. We went to Target to buy cheese, and I left with several other things. I guess that's how it goes at Target.

About a year and a half ago, we bought the game Creationary, which is basically pictionary but with legos. Jack has been playing with those legos lately, so that's what prompted my purchase today. I wanted him to have a few more blocks to work with. What I learned is that I also love to build with Legos (with the instructions or a picture to build from, I like recipes).

DSC_0042

DSC_0043

Today, we built a monster truck, a tractor with a trailer, a tree, a farmhouse, a barn, a bull, a dog/horse/cow, and a combination of the above. While Reid slept, Jack and I played for a good 30 minutes. During that time, we both commented on how much fun we were having. Over the course of the day, Jack played with the lego set several times by himself too. This is huge if you know Jack. There are not many activities that Jack likes to do alone.

DSC_0035

DSC_0037

Steve's trip to Switzerland was a success travelwise. He brought back chocolates for me and a hat and T-shirt for Jack. Okay, that's not why it was a success. He got to run along the original Lake Geneva, which was beautiful. He got to watch Big Bang Theory in French. He got to drink fantastic wine. Overall, a pretty interesting trip. He did say he wouldn't want to live in Morges, Switzerland (Morges is pronounced in one syllable). Most activity around the area was done by 8 p.m. and everyone smokes there. On the bright side, he really liked the people and the culture. They have a culture of respect, as they describe it. During his five days there, he didn't see one cigarette butt or piece of litter. When he ran through town, cars stopped for him – every time. Sounds kind of nice to me!

IMG_20120601_195507

IMG_20120601_195522

IMG_20120601_200744

Last Thursday, we went back to the awesome dentist for our cleanings. Jack and I had cleanings at the same time, so Steve went into the room with Jack, and Reid kept me company. When we were done, Jack and I walked to the Thai place for lunch while Steve and Reid took the car over. On our walk, I asked Jack what his favorite part of the dentist visit was. "Everything!" was his reply. He got to wear sunglasses. He got to try out the water sprayer (and said "I made a mess!"). The dentist used Mr. Thirsty. She counted his teeth. She cleaned his teeth with bubble gum toothpaste. Yeah, I think we found the right dental office.

Have to get a good look at the television
IMG_20120607_115233

IMG_20120607_115123

This says it all
IMG_20120607_114900

Now, for a funny little story. The boys and I have a pretty solid routine for Tuesday mornings. We go to Jazzercise and then the library. Last week, Jack carried my mat out to the car for me after Jazzercise and wanted to hold it in his lap on the way to the library. I thought it was a very kind gesture. On the way to the library, he had fun pulling the mat up over his face and trying to talk to me. He thought it was funny that I couldn't understand him. He also thought it was cool that the mat blocked the wind from his window.

We got to the library, did our thing there, and then got back in the car to head for home. Jack tried to play with the mat again. It did not work as well this time. He couldn't get it up over his head, and he was getting pretty frustrated. He asked for help, but as I was driving, I told him he would have to wait until we got home for help from me. He continued to try. Then he says...

"Mom, you are destroying my life!"

Yep, I about busted out laughing too. When I asked how I was destroying his life, he explained that my driving home was making the mat not work. I tried to explain that this was not actually the case, but he didn't want to hear it.

That night, I had Jack tell Steve the story at dinner. Jack has a great memory, and he told the story quite accurately including the quote. When Steve and I both laughed at the "destroying my laugh" part, Jack joined in the laughter. So now we have a little joke. Jack likes to tell me I'm destroying his life to get me to laugh. Little does he know that I have barely begun destroying his life. We'll see what he has to say about this once he gets to middle school.

And to end this fabulous post, how about some pictures of the boys. Enjoy!

DSC_0025

DSC_0024

DSC_0003

No comments: