Wednesday, February 01, 2012

A few things are going to change around here

Sometimes when things change, they really change, and they change quickly.

A year ago, we thought we would be the happy parents of one child, I would be the newspaper adviser at WHS forever, and eventually we would sell our house and move closer to the city.

Now, we have two wonderful boys, we refinanced our home and plan to stay for a while, and I am a stay-at-home-mom for at least a year and a half. 

Change is good.

After Reid was born, Steve and I began to talk seriously about me taking a leave of absence from WHS. We crunched the numbers, and with a little smart budgeting, we realized we could make it happen. So I put in for a full-time leave of absence for next school year. The admin at WHS came back and said, sure, and if you would like, we can even let you take the rest of this year. A little more figuring, and now I am focusing on my family and figuring out my new lifestyle.

It's amazing how happy and free I feel with this change. I love thinking about cool activities to do with Jack and Reid. Today, I found a recipe to make butter using whipping cream and a baby food jar. Jack's going to love it! I love having lunch with Steve when he works from home. I love that every night has family time. Trust me, even on the bad days (which I know there will be), I am going to cherish this.

Because of this major change, Jack has a change ahead too. He will be leaving Little Wildcat Day Care next week and starting at a local preschool the following week. We are all pretty excited about this. He will only be in school for 2 1/2 hours each morning, which will leave us all afternoon to play and have adventures. His new school is about 5 minutes from our house, which will be a marvelous change from the 45 minutes one-way we are traveling to get to WHS.

Even with good changes, there is a little sadness. Both Jack and I are going to miss seeing our friends at Wheeling every day. We love our friends there, and we have a lot of fun with them. Luckily, this does not mean that we will never see them again. We will have to be much better about scheduling play-dates.

Reid is not one to be left out. Of course, his changes are much more developmental. At 2 1/2 months, he is smiling and interacting a lot now. He loves his play mat with a little cow and a little pig that hang down for him to punch and kick. He loves diaper changes. He smiles and coos the entire time. He could screaming and overtired, you put him on the changing pad and he starts to smile. 

Overall, change is good.

Playing on the play mat

A little blurry, but a shot from some family time bowling

2 months old
DSC_0004

DSC_0009

No comments: