Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Too many words and time for kindergarten

I'm pretty sure Reid grew into a kid this weekend. He is definitely not a baby anymore.

Between Friday and Monday, I think he added at least 10 new words to his vocabulary. He now calls his Pepere by name. It's very sweet. He also can make the sounds for almost 10 different animals. Do those sounds count as words?

If that wasn't enough, Jack finished preschool... forever. He'll never go to preschool again. That's crazy!

Thank goodness we left for a weekend getaway. I thought I might have a complete emotional breakdown last Thursday when I realized what was happening with our boys.

Reid spent our weekend in Michigan playing with the "big" kids. He chased his cousins, Sophia, Matthew and Emmett, all over the place. He ran around a children's museum with reckless abandon. This kid usually hangs pretty close to me at play dates and parks. Not any more. He was mister independent on our trip. Well, except when he wanted Daddy.

I also couldn't believe how much he was talking and communicating. He didn't have any trouble getting what he wanted whether that was something to eat or drink, a new diaper, or playtime with the kids. I guess 18 months means he's a kid now.

And Jack... well he's definitely a big kid. All weekend long he wanted nothing to do with me or Steve. He just wanted to play with Billy or Grandma Sue or Emmett or anyone else. It took a little getting used to seeing him just take off and play without hesitation.

I didn't see him much at the children's museum. When I tried, he ran away. When we were at the house, he was heading down to the beach or to fly a kite or just downstairs to the other condo to play. I did get to read him a book Saturday night. That was nice.

In the end, it has been very gratifying to see our boys come in to their own over the last week or so. They are both pretty amazing kids.

DSC_0166

DSC_0127

Jack's first day of preschool
DSC_0012

Jack's last day of preschool
DSC_0010

No comments: